A Song in My Heart. Or on My Site. Or Something.

One of the best things about being a debut author is that it’s all a brand new adventure. On the one hand, that means I have no idea what the hell I’m doing or how to balance promotion and writing, no clue about adjusting to a contracted deadline as opposed to some sliding target in my head. On the other hand, it means getting all kinds of fun surprises, like reviewers who fall in love with the book, or readers who reach out to compliment me on an interview I did, or sometimes even more unexpected stuff. Like a professional composer contacting me and proposing a trade: he’d compose a few tracks to serve as a mini-soundtrack to Scourge of the Betrayer in exchange for a signed copy of the book.

Being a newbie, I don’t know what’s usual or not. Maybe composers reach out to authors with similar offers all the time. I’m going to pretend otherwise. I like feeling special. But either way, it’s still really cool.

So of course I agreed. And the composer, Will Musser (http://www.willmusser.com/), recently sent me the first track. This serves as kind of an overture for the book, and tries to weave several different elements of the book in one track, which, while very ambitious, results in something pretty powerful, in my opinion anyway. It’s really interesting to see or hear another artist’s interpretation of something you created. Will wanted to convey some mystery associated with the Syldoon and their agenda, and the brutality they are capable of, as well as capturing the haunting quality of Braylar and the cursed weapon he possesses. Again, that’s a lot to cover in a track that’s under four minutes long, but I think Will did a fantastic job—there are a lot layers here, a lot of movement, and plenty of depth.

If you drop by, let me know what you think.

The Syldoon

Be Sociable, Share!

10 Responses to “A Song in My Heart. Or on My Site. Or Something.”

1. Ravyn October 29, 2012 at 2:12 am # Reply

Seems talent recognizes and appreciates talent regardless of different media. I listened on my laptop then played it through my sound system, and was properly blown away. It’s awesome. You should make it (and the others as you get them) evergreen on the right nav. How about animated trailer/promo with this as the sound track?

• jeffsalyards October 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm # Reply

I should be getting a second track soon. Can’t wait to hear it. Yep, on a rocking sound system, this track sounds fantastic. Great idea about the evergreen, and if I can find a way to use it as promotional material, I will. Thanks for commenting.

2. Paul Skelding October 29, 2012 at 2:31 am # Reply

Great track for the book! It’s very haunting with some eastern overtones and good build up. It matches the tone of the book very well. It was a great first book Jeff and I really enjoyed the war correspondent type meets fantasy bad-ass mash-up a lot!

• jeffsalyards October 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm # Reply

Thanks so much, Paul. I think Will (composer) did a bang up job! I was very happy with the way it turned out–I agree, it does match the tone of the book nicely, and captures a lot in a short amount of time. And I’m really glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for stopping by.

3. Michael J. Sullivan October 29, 2012 at 11:44 am # Reply

Well I’m a newbie as well, but I’ve never heard of anyone getting a song composed as part of their fandom. Pictures, comics, fanfic sure but I think you have every right to feel “special” that someone with such musical talent to the time to compose on your behalf. My hats off to both of you.

• jeffsalyards October 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm # Reply

Thanks, Michael. I was pretty thrilled when Will made the offer. And even more pleased with what he came up with.

4. Mieneke October 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm # Reply

The track sounds great!

• jeffsalyards October 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm # Reply

Yep–I was pretty excied when I listened to it. And now, 3,000 listens later, it still holds up. :)

5. Amanda February 16, 2014 at 6:38 pm # Reply

Wow! Loved it… It goes so well with the book! It reminded me of Loreena Mckennit’s Ancient Muse. More please!

• jeffsalyards February 16, 2014 at 7:13 pm # Reply

Will said he would do another track sometime, probably to coincide with Veil coming out this year. Can’t wait to hear more from him.